Sunday, July 21, 2013

Crochet Wall Art

Remember my orange and green Tussy-Mussy 12" Square


It was a very interesting design by Rebecca Bisbing (here) with stitches that challenged me (view my projects here).  

I had pinned it up on the wall next to a framed hand-embroidery crewel flower design sewn by my Mother-in-Law in the same colors. 

But...I wasn't happy with it pinned up and realized it needed to be framed properly.  

Several weeks ago I had bought two black frames at Ikea with the intent of framing some black and white prints from vacations that I had rolled up and put away many years ago. 

Of course, I didn't bother to take measurements of the prints and bought the frames hoping they were the right size.  And you guessed right.. duh...the frames were too small. 

So today I'm sitting here thinking about those frames and decided to use one to frame my orange and green Tussy-Mussy square. 


The frame's mat opening wasn't a square shape so I added three rolls of double crochet to the top and bottom of the square to make it a rectanglar shape.


Then I cut out a piece of Muslim the size of the frame and sprayed some adhesive on a piece of stabilizer and attached it to the fabric.


  Next I pinned the crochet design to the chalk marked outline of the mat opening and loosely stitched the design to the fabric. 


The last step I dropped the fabric with the sewn on design into the frame opening and closed it up. 


For now I've hung it in our hallway from the dinning room to the kitchen so I can look at it close up so I can admire it as I pass through. 


I love it!  

I've always thought of displaying my crochet pieces framed and I couldn't be more pleased with the outcome.  

This won't be the last crochet piece I frame!

Have you ever framed your crochet?  

5 comments:

  1. Felicitaciones ☺.... adoro el arte en todas sus formas,los colores perfectos un cuadro con mucho amor besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable!
    I haven't framed a crochet piece either. But I have made art work out of a couple of old yo-yo blocks that I found in my Granny's Trunk, from her attic.
    The green and orange in this piece says "hey, look how cheerful, I am!"
    Love it.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a FAB idea! I'm going to have to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great and would make nice seat covers too, Sandy. Hope you've been staying cool! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is such a great idea. It looks very pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete