Monday, March 3, 2014

Starting "Pink Delight"

Source:  Pinerest


We have a beautiful niece, Maura Jeanne, who loves PINK and is such a delight in our lives.  



I've always wanted to crochet a throw for her.  

I missed her 21st birthday this year. 

So I decided I better get busy so she can have this throw by Christmas. 


I knew I wanted it in PINK for her and thought about crocheting a ripple and then I spied this quilt on Pinerest and fell in love with it's colors and pattern. 


Maybe I could duplicate the quilt's design and pattern "somehow" with yarn.  

Working up my first Refreshing Throw square.

I loved the design on Marianne Forrestal's "Crochet Refreshing Throw". 

Her free pattern link (here). 

It is lacy and lovely in solid shades of Caron Simply Soft  yarn.   

I used colors of "Watermelon" and "Soft Pink" for the center five squares. 


Next I drooled over Jan Eaton's book, "200 Crochet Blocks", looking for designs similar to the quilt's flowered square (third round) and "plus sign" square (fourth round). 


The first flowered pattern sample I tried was "Peony" #87.  

It was stunning but unfortunately became too large and heavy for my envision throw. 


The second design I crocheted was "Framed Flower" #54.  

It was just right flower size wise and was lighter in texture and weight.    

Looks pretty close to the quilt's flowered square!

A pretty good match I think.

I just realized this square is on the cover of Ms. Eaton's book!


I thought Ms. Eaton's "Nine Patch Granny" #61 was cute and similar to the quilt's "plus sign" design square.  

I had to experiment in hook sizes to get the right size of square. 

I worked up samples using hook sizes H, G, F and E.   

I thought "F" would work but it was slightly larger than the Refreshing square.  

I think using an "E" hook size will be just right in size to be consistent with the other squares.  

Actually I used a "F" hook here.

So I'm set to start crocheting the pattern for the first four rounds using these three designs. 

One pattern is free but you will have to buy Ms. Eaton's book to get the other two. 

"F" hook here too.

It won't be fun slip stitching all these little granny squares together but the end result is perfect.  

And "F" hook here too.

So that's it…so far.

What do you think?  

Am I off to a good start?

You can follow along with me on my Ravelry project page too (here).


We got another couple of inches of snow last night.

Bummer…my sewing store cancelled our Embroidery Club for this morning due to the weather.

I'll leave everything packed up just in case the class is rescheduled for this week.

If not, it all goes back down to my craft/sewing room.

I have more sewing to do.

Sad day for me…twenty years ago today my Daddy passed to heaven.

My, how I miss him!

6 comments:

  1. Sandy, I have pinned that throw on Pinterest, too! The colors are "delight"ful! And I like your version, too! That is going to be so pretty! Lucky Maura Jeanne! You do such nice work, and you are so inspiring! xxoo. JO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Sandy! It's so special what you have done. Love, love, love it! The colors are great, and the thought you have put into it = lots of love and patience and a wonderful gift. This will truly be a treasure for your niece. I hope she realizes how special you are too. I'll be following your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so clever Sandy. It's going to be beautiful. All your research and preparation will pay off big time. I hope she appreciates it, I'm sure she'll love it.
    PS I'm having trouble with my blog. Can't get into it although I'm logged in. When I click on Design a blank page comes up and that's as far as I get !! Any clues ? I very worried that I won't be able to use it any more. I have four blogs using different logins and all of them are the same !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandy, I'd say youare off to a great start! Maura Jeanne is going to love it! The colors are gorgeous. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to turn out fabulous!! So creative in working from that inspiration photo! Can't wait to see more!
    Kate :}

    ReplyDelete
  6. That will be such a wonderful blanket and I'm sure your niece will treasure it always. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete